Re: IO related waits

From: veem v <veema0000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IO related waits
Date: 2024-09-17 03:55:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 17 Sept 2024 at 03:41, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> Are you referring to this?:
>

> https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-release-1.20/docs/dev/datastream/operators/asyncio/
>
> If not then you will need to be more specific.

Yes, I was referring to this one. So what can be the caveats in this
approach, considering transactions meant to be ACID compliant as financial
transactions.Additionally I was not aware of the parameter
"synchronous_commit" in DB side which will mimic the synchronous commit.

Would both of these mimic the same asynchronous behaviour and achieves the
same, which means the client data load throughput will increase because the
DB will not wait for those data to be written to the WAL and give a
confirmation back to the client and also the client will not wait for the
DB to give a confirmation back on the data to be persisted in the DB or
not?. Also, as in the backend the flushing of the WAL to the disk has to
happen anyway(just that it will be delayed now), so can this method cause
contention in the database storage side if the speed in which the data gets
ingested from the client is not getting written to the disk , and if it can
someway impact the data consistency for the read queries?