Re: How to do faster DML

From: veem v <veema0000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
Subject: Re: How to do faster DML
Date: 2024-02-11 07:55:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank You so much for the detailed explanation.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 at 05:55, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:

> Yes. Numbers in Oracle are variable length, so most Oracle tables
> wouldn't contain many fixed length columns. In PostgreSQL must numeric
> types are fixed length, so you'll have quite a lot of them.

So it means , say in other databases like (oracle database), we were
careless choosing the data length , say for example Varchar2(4000), if the
real data which is inserted into the table holds a varchar string of length
20 bytes then Oracle trimmed it to occupy the 20 bytes length only in the
storage. but in postgre here we need to be cautious and define the length
as what the data attribute can max contains , because that amount of fixed
space is allocated to every value which is inserted into the table for that
attribute/data element. Similarly for Number/Numeric data type. Please
correct if my understanding is wrong.

Regards
Veem