Re: Build issue with postgresql 17 undefined reference to `pg_encoding_to_char' and `pg_char_to_encoding'

From: Mikael Sand <msand(at)seaber(dot)io>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Build issue with postgresql 17 undefined reference to `pg_encoding_to_char' and `pg_char_to_encoding'
Date: 2024-10-10 20:22:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Aleksander

Ok. So no actual benefit from using dynamic?
Well, it seems postgresql and all dependencies already support it, no?
Doesn't go do static linking by default / prefer it? Unless you use some
part that uses CGO, in which case many go developers appear to disable CGO
anyway and use the plain go implementation instead.
Similarly, the rust community seems to have a preference / strong support
for static, some with alpine, musl, etc.
We're still developing this part of our system, and do intend to measure
the difference, for this we need to be able to build the static version as
well. I can post results once we have them. Have you measured the
difference?

Br Mikael