Re: Build issue with postgresql 17 undefined reference to `pg_encoding_to_char' and `pg_char_to_encoding'

From: Mikael Sand <msand(at)seaber(dot)io>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build issue with postgresql 17 undefined reference to `pg_encoding_to_char' and `pg_char_to_encoding'
Date: 2024-10-10 15:28:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I don't mind having this patch in use too much, I have a functional build
and nothing to worry about, no luck necessary :)

But, I expect a lot of unnecessary churn in the community if this is not
fixed properly.
Not all applications run inside docker, and not all can use dynamic linking.
People can dislike static linking for whatever reason, but that doesn't
remove the need for it (or both) in some cases and the desire for it in
others.

Judging from the commit, it doesn't seem like static linking is
intentionally broken.
Should a test be added so as not to break this by mistake?
I must say I don't fully comprehend the context of that commit.