Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

From: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?
Date: 2024-06-09 20:08:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 10:13 PM Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Speaking as a table owner, when I set a trigger on it, I expect that when
the specified actions occur my trigger will fire and will do what I
specify, without regard to the execution environment of the caller
(search_path in particular); and my trigger should be able to do anything
that I can do. For the canonical case of a logging table the trigger has to
be able to do stuff the caller can't do. I don't expect to be able to do
stuff that the caller can do.

> Speaking as someone making an update on a table, I don't expect to have
it fail because my execution environment (search_path in particular) is
wrong for the trigger implementation, and I consider it a security
violation if the table owner is able to do stuff as me as a result,
especially if I am an administrator making an update as superuser.

Can you expand on this a bit? When a trigger executes should the
execution environment match:

- The execution environment of the trigger owner at the time of
trigger creation?
- The execution environment of the function owner at the time of
function creation?
- An execution environment built from the trigger owner's default
configuration parameters?
- Something else?

While I am convinced that privileges should be checked using the
trigger owner's role, I'm less convinced of other configuration
parameters. For the search_path example, that can be resolved by
either fully qualifying object names or setting the search_path in the
function itself. Similar approaches can be taken with other
configuration parameters.

I also worry that it would be a source of confusion that the execution
environment of triggers come from the trigger/function owner, but the
execution environment of function calls come from the caller.

> I think it's pretty clear the existing behaviour is the wrong choice in
every other way than backward compatibility. I welcome examples to the
contrary, where the existing behaviour is not just OK but actually wanted.

This is perhaps a contrived example, but here's one. Suppose I create a
trigger that raises a notice that includes the current timestamp. I
would probably want to use the timezone of the caller, not the
trigger owner.

Thanks,
Joe Koshakow