Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3055] Allow user to sort the data in View data mode

From: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3055] Allow user to sort the data in View data mode
Date: 2018-03-26 20:26:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Joao De Almeida Pereira <
jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> @Murtuza: The patch codewise looks good. Nice to see that we are using
> axios instead of jquery ajax calls and that there is some coverage for the
> change.
> Nevertheless the Javascript testing looks a bit slim and could be
> improved. Also the DataSorting class could have some other member functions
> like the model validation could be extracted out so that it is easily
> tested.
>

> @Hackers: This was how we tried to test this feature:
> 1 - Started pgAdmin
> 2 - Opened the query tool for a specific server
> 3 - Executed a SQL statment
> 4 - Pressed the column header to try to order, nothing happened
> 5 - Right clicked the column header to see if it was there the option,
> nothing
>
> This is the behavior that we were expecting, not to have to open Data View
> and then press the icon that is not even near the grid in order to sort the
> column. Is this really the way we want people to use the grid in pgAdmin?
> Should it be more intuitive?

Have we considered making the grid behave more like excel or other grids? I
think that having the ascending and descending inside the column header, we
could similarly provide filtering. Something that would give users a more
intuitive place to look.

-- Rob