Re: Linux OOM killer

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ariel Tejera <artejera(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux OOM killer
Date: 2024-10-03 02:42:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 3 Oct 2024 at 07:16, Ariel Tejera <artejera(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Right .. I'll try to upgrade versions and then retry, as you recommend, unfortunately we're short of hands at the moment.
> For us the issue is in practice solved with memoizing=off

Upgrading minor versions is a trivial task, and it's one you should
give much higher priority to than you have been.

For the reported memory leak, if you look at the release notes for PG
14.8 [1], you'll see:

"Fix memory leak in Memoize plan execution (David Rowley)"

It's quite likely this will fix the issue you reported. If it doesn't,
please feel free to update us and we can look further. Unfortunately,
we've no means to time travel back to fix these bugs in the past, so
as a workaround, we release minor versions to fix discovered bugs.
It's a good idea to upgrade to the latest minor versions for your
given release shortly after these are released. That's approximately
every 3 months.

There's more information about the project's versioning policy in [2].

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/14.8/
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/