Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date: 2024-05-23 01:34:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 23 May 2024 at 10:04, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> You might have seen in this thread, I do record commits that speed up
> workloads that are user-visible, or specifically make new workloads
> possible. I assume that covers the items above, though I have to
> determine this from the commit message.

It sometimes is hard to write something specific in the commit message
about the actual performance increase.

For example, if a commit removes an O(N log2 N) algorithm and replaces
it with an O(1), you can't say there's an X% increase in performance
as the performance increase depends on the value of N.

Jelte did call me out for not mentioning enough detail about the
performance in c4ab7da60, but if I claimed any % of an increase, it
would have been specific to some workload.

What is the best way to communicate this stuff so it's easily
identifiable when you parse the commit messages?

David