Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date: 2024-09-12 02:07:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 at 20:00, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 at 05:17, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:
> > If I understand your proposal correctly, there will be another email to the
> > thread if the previous CF was closed and someone opened a new CF entry.
> > Sometimes some CF entries are about the same thread.
>
> Yeah, that's correct. If a new CF entry is created for an existing
> thread a new email would be sent. But to be clear, if CF entry is
> pushed to the next commitfest, **no** new email would be sent.

I was thinking about this today when looking at [1], you can see at
the end of that email someone posted a link to the CF entry.
Unfortunately, that was for the Jan-2024 CF, which is not really that
useful to look at today.

It looks like only about 35% of patches in this CF have "num CFs" = 1,
so it might be annoying to be taken to an old entry 65% of the time
you click the proposed URL. Maybe instead of the URLs showing the CF
number that the patch was first added to, if it could have a reference
in the URL that looks up the maximum CF which contains the patch and
show that one. e.g. https://commitfest.postgresql.org/latest/4751/ .
Without that, if you try to modify the status of a patch in an older
CF, you'll just be told that you can't do that. (it is true you can
click the latest CF in the status column, but that's at least one more
click than I'd have hoped)

David

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CACJufxEdavJhkUDhJ1jraXnZ9ayNQU+TvjuQjzQbuGS06oNZEQ@mail.gmail.com