Re: BUG #18109: enable_partitionwise_aggregate does not apply when inserting or updating

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Flavin <stephen_flav(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18109: enable_partitionwise_aggregate does not apply when inserting or updating
Date: 2023-09-14 14:14:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, 15 Sept 2023 at 01:57, Stephen Flavin <stephen_flav(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I missed https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/when-can-parallel-query-be-used.html so I guess this isn't a bug but you say you're seeing
> parallel workers in the insert which confuses me more. (sorry)

Parallel workers are not the same thing as partition-wise aggregate.
Partition-wise aggregate just means that the aggregation will be
performed below the Append/MergeAppend node. In the query you've just
shown you can see that as Hash Aggregate below (before) the Append.
Parallel workers is something that is used by parallel query. A
parallel plan will have a Gather or Gather Merge node. I certainly
didn't see one of those with the INSERT.

David