Re: Fix BUG #17335: Duplicate result rows in Gather node

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix BUG #17335: Duplicate result rows in Gather node
Date: 2022-01-25 08:20:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 20:03, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 17:35, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> > And another attempt to fix tests volatility.
>
> FWIW, I had not really seen the point in adding a test for this. I
> did however see a point in it with your original patch. It seemed
> useful there to verify that Gather and GatherMerge did what we
> expected with 1 worker.

I ended up pushing just the last patch I sent.

The reason I didn't think it was worth adding a new test was that no
tests were added in the original commit. Existing tests did cover it,
but here we're just restoring the original behaviour for one simple
case. The test in your patch just seemed a bit more hassle than it
was worth. I struggle to imagine how we'll break this again.

David