Re: Building v17 Beta2 on Windows

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building v17 Beta2 on Windows
Date: 2024-08-05 12:26:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 5 Aug 2024 at 23:41, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Is that now required? Any documentation / release notes regarding
> such a change?

Yes. The release notes mention:

"Remove the Microsoft Visual Studio-specific PostgreSQL build option
(Michael Paquier)
Meson is now the only available method for Visual Studio builds."

See: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/release-17.html

> I looked for a Windows 17beta2 package to download, but only saw
> Postgresql 16 version:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-windows-full.html

https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/ does link to
https://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdevdownload
. I see Windows installers for v17b2.

> So for the moment, I don’t know how to proceed

Meson is now the build system for Windows:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/install-meson.html

David