Re: Parallel Bitmap Heap Scan reports per-worker stats in EXPLAIN ANALYZE

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiro(dot)Ikeda(at)nttdata(dot)com
Cc: lena(dot)ribackina(at)yandex(dot)ru, donghanglin(at)gmail(dot)com, geidav(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com, melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com, tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi
Subject: Re: Parallel Bitmap Heap Scan reports per-worker stats in EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date: 2024-07-05 00:52:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 5 Jul 2024 at 01:59, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I also made a pass over the patch, and I also changed:
>
> 1. Fixed up a few outdated comments in execnodes.h.
> 2. Added a comment in ExecEndBitmapHeapScan() to explain why we += the
> stats rather than memcpy the BitmapHeapScanInstrumentation.
> 3. A bunch of other comments.
> 4. updated typedefs.list and ran pgindent.

One other thing I think we should do while on this topic is move away
from using "long" as a data type for storing the number of exact and
lossy pages. The problem is that sizeof(long) on 64-bit MSVC is 32
bits. A signed 32-bit type isn't large enough to store anything more
than 16TBs worth of 8k pages.

I propose we change these to uint64 while causing churn in this area,
probably as a follow-on patch. I think a uint32 isn't wide enough as
you could exceed the limit with rescans.

David