Re: Incorrect cost for MergeAppend

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Kuzmenkov <akuzmenkov(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Incorrect cost for MergeAppend
Date: 2024-01-31 06:42:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 at 18:58, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> with patch
> Merge Append (cost=6.94..18.90 rows=198 width=4)

> without patch
> Sort (cost=19.04..19.54 rows=198 width=4)

> Those numbers are higher than 1% (#define STD_FUZZ_FACTOR 1.01) but
> slight variation in all the GUCs that affect cost, might bring the
> difference closer to STD_FUZZ_FACTOR.
>
> Given how close they are, maybe it's not such a good idea to
> backpatch.

The reason those numbers are close is because I reduced the row count
on the test tables to a point where we only just get the Merge Append
plan with a small margin. I don't see the test case costs as a
relevant factor for if we backpatch or not.

What is relevant are things like:

For:
* It's a clear bug and what's happening now is clearly wrong.
* inheritance/partitioned table plan changes for the better in minor versions

Against:
* Nobody has complained for 13 years, so maybe it's unlikely anyone is
suffering too much.
* Possibility of inheritance/partitioned table plans changing for the
worse in minor versions

For now, I'm on the fence on this one.

David