Re: software or hardware RAID?

From: Hans Schou <hans(dot)schou(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: software or hardware RAID?
Date: 2019-03-23 17:19:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 11:54 PM Rory Campbell-Lange <
rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net> wrote:

> We aren't sure whether to use software MDRaid or a MegaRAID card.

Never go with hardRaid. I have had a breakdown on a hardware RAID and as
it was special and not off-the-shelf, I could not move the disk to another
controller. I think it was a capacitor, maybe capasitor plaegue.
Only thing I had to do was to restore to the day before and the customer
lost one days work.

From that on, I only use softRAID.