Re: LDAP (AD) Configuration

From: Samed YILDIRIM <samed(at)reddoc(dot)net>
To: jacob ndinkwa <jndinkwa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LDAP (AD) Configuration
Date: 2023-12-22 22:16:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Jacob,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I understand from your mail is that
you were told to install PostgreSQL on a virtual machine in Azure and
integrate it with Active Directory. My wild guess is that the AD in this
picture is probably Azure Active Directory, which does not have LDAP
support out of the box.

My assumption is that if you asked this question, you expected to handle
authentication and user management through Active Directory, such as
creating a user on AD and granting access by making it a member of an AD
group, then hoping the user to access the database :) If this is what you
want, unfortunately, it does not work in that way :)

- You can authenticate Postgres users via LDAP. But, that user should
still have been created on Postgres too. I'm adding documentation below.
Also, there is a tool for syncing roles. But, I have never used or tested
it.
- https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/auth-ldap.html
- https://github.com/dalibo/ldap2pg
- If you want to use Azure AD in this picture and you don't have Azure
AD DS, the overall picture becomes way more complicated. The last time I
tried this was 3 years ago. PostgreSQL did not have direct support for
that. I believe it still does not. You will need to create your own
solution. Or, you can use Azure Database for PostgreSQL :)

Best regards.
Samed YILDIRIM