Re: query tool csv/txt output file extension choice and encoding

From: Dave Caughey <caugheyd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alain Dupeyron <adupeyron(at)yahoo(dot)fr>, "pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query tool csv/txt output file extension choice and encoding
Date: 2021-02-05 23:17:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 3:39 PM richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I concur with Alain.
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM Dave Caughey <caugheyd(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Always naming the file as ".csv", regardless of the delimited used, was a
>> bug that was fixed.
>>
>> In my case it was a bug that was created.
>

>> The problem with always naming a file as ".csv" is that Excel then
>> blindly assumes that the file actually does contain comma-delimited fields,
>> and bypasses the Import From Text Wizard, so if you use anything other than
>> commas (e.g., you want TAB separators), then Excel won't split your file
>> into multiple columns correctly. Therefore, before the bug was fixed, you
>> had to manually rename all of pgAdmin's "export to file" outputs to
>> ".txt". (Exactly what you don't want to have to do, too!)
>>
>> No, both Alain and myself *now* have to rename the .txt files to .csv
> files. In my case it's because LibreOffice won't open it in Calc with a
> txt extension, but instead try to open it in Write. If I leave it .txt I
> have to; manually start Calc, then select the file, then try to import it.
> If it's named .csv a simple double-click opens the file in Calc and in the
> CSV import wizard that correctly handles files delimited by comma, tab, ~,
> |, ;, or anything else you like.

Yeah, that's definitely unfortunate, but I think accommodating Excel's lame
behaviour far outweighs accommodating LibreOffice's lame behaviour, given
the relative number of users of the two programs.

Clearly, this would be solvable by including a "default extension" (e.g.,
".csv" or ".txt") that would probably make everyone happy, but it seems
that simply going back to the old buggy behaviour would be worse for a lot
more people than it would help.