Incremental Backup via WAL archive

From: christine sarsonas <ctsarsonas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Incremental Backup via WAL archive
Date: 2022-06-29 08:15:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good day Team.

I would like to have your insights regarding my above-mentioned inquiry.
I'm currently assigned to perform a DBA task and have a look at the
incremental backup routine using WAL archives (we're currently using
Postgresql for Windows) which will be maintained as a daily backup.

The objective of the daily backup is to have a small file/files of new data
or changes in the database that can be played or resumed using the related
(nearest) basebackup and afterwards it can be kept and archived for a long
time.

Recently, I performed a test on one of the servers and found out that
within 1 hour, the overall wal files is around 1GB already as the main DB
is just 900+MB if backup using pg_dump.

What would be the best approach for daily backups? We have 2 systems that
are 9GB in size already (very heavy to store on a daily basis).

Looking forward to your best recommendation.

Thank you.