tx canceled on standby despite infinite max_standby_streaming_delay

From: Jay Howard <jhoward(at)alumni(dot)utexas(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tx canceled on standby despite infinite max_standby_streaming_delay
Date: 2016-05-14 02:27:06
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm seeing long-running transactions (pg_dump) canceled on the standby when
there are a lot of inserts happening on the master. This despite my having
set max_standby_streaming_delay to -1 on the standby.

Why might that happen?

This is pg 9.3.12. When it happens I see:

pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "TABLE" failed: PQgetResult() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: canceling statement due to
conflict with recovery
DETAIL: User query might have needed to see row versions that must be
removed.
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.TABLE (COLUMNS) TO stdout;