Collation and Character Type

From: JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Collation and Character Type
Date: 2020-09-14 22:08:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I installed PostgreSQL 11.5 for Windows and set it to the character set
"Spanish Mexico 1252" (this is asked during installation).
When I create a new database, I am asked for "Collation" and "Character
type" and the options shown are: "C", "POSIX" and "Spanish_Mexico.1252".
Before clicking on the "Save" button to actually create it, I go to the
"SQL" tab and I see something like this:

CREATE DATABASE riopoderoso
WITH
OWNER = postgres
TEMPLATE = template0
ENCODING = 'WIN1252'
LC_COLLATE = 'Spanish_Mexico.1252'
LC_CTYPE = 'Spanish_Mexico.1252'
TABLESPACE = riopoderoso
CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;

If I want a different value for "LC_COLLATE" and "LC_CYPE", can I just copy
this code, change such values and run it as a query in the "SQL Shell"? Is
this a correct procedure?
I wonder if I need to do some additional configuration so other character
sets appear in the "Collation" and "Character type" shown below. However,
it seems to me that the CREATE DATABASE command in the documentation shows
that this is enough.

[image: image.png]

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado