Re: Restrictions for a specific situation in my DB

From: JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restrictions for a specific situation in my DB
Date: 2020-05-13 14:10:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

*"You should always CC the list."*
I am sorry for that. I will take it into consideration from now on.

*"I have never heard of a "restriction" as a technical concept in
databases,so I cannot answer that."*
What I meant was "CONSTRAINT". I understand that, in PostgreSQL, I can
define "UNIQUE INDEX" and "UNIQUE CONSTRAINT" and that a "UNIQUE
CONSTRAINT" creates a "UNIQUE INDEX" behind the scenes.

So my question is:
Can a "UNIQUE CONSTRAINT" be used instead of a "UNIQUE INDEX"?

I searched the web for an answer and found that expressions like LEAST and
GREATEST are not allowed in a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT but they can be used in a
UNIQUE INDEX. I also tested directly in a table and I could verify it. So,
a UNIQUE INDEX is the choice to include LEAST and GREATEST.

With respect,
Jorge Maldonado