Question about trigram GIST index

From: Robert DiFalco <robert(dot)difalco(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Question about trigram GIST index
Date: 2014-12-18 17:12:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

So, for my use case I simply need to search for a case insensitive
substring. It need not be super exact. It seems like there are two ways I
can do this:

CREATE INDEX idx_users_name ON users USING GIST(lower(name) gist_trgm_ops);
SELECT * FROM users WHERE lower(name) LIKE '%john%';

Or I can do it like this:

CREATE INDEX idx_users_name ON users USING GIST(name gist_trgm_ops);
SELECT * FROM users WHERE name % 'john';

Unfortunately I cannot find any documentation on the trade-offs between
these two approaches. For my test dataset of 75K records the query speed
seems pretty damn similar.

So, I guess my question is, what is the difference for querying and insert
for the two approaches?

Thanks!