Force pg_hba.conf user with LDAP

From: Joseph Kregloh <jkregloh(at)sproutloud(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Force pg_hba.conf user with LDAP
Date: 2016-08-01 18:40:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Is there a way to force the user being sent to LDAP?

For example I have the following entry in my pg_hba.conf file:
host apdb apuser 10.0.20.1/22 ldap
ldapserver="389-ds1.sl.com:389" ldapbasedn="dc=sl,dc=com"

- I will be connecting as apuser.
- I will supply my own user's password.

When PostgreSQL does the authentication I would like it to replace apuser
with jkregloh.

The reason why I want to do this is to limit power granted to a user. For
example I want to be able to user my regular user jkregloh for everyday
things. But when I need super user actions I will login using apuser. Now
this is easy enough to do without LDAP. But if I disable my user via LDAP
it would remove access from both my regular user and my superuser, that's
the functionality I am looking for.

I am pretty sure this is not possible, but I am floating the question
anyways in hope of suggestions.

-Joseph