Re: Partitioning with foreign tables.

From: Günce Kaya <guncekaya14(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partitioning with foreign tables.
Date: 2018-10-03 08:33:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

> If I insert a row to partitioned table which is in local, a partitioned
> table’s constraints should work. If I add a constraint on a partitioned
> table, I should be make sure I can not insert a row which is out of
> partitioned table’s constraints. But I could. I think, partitioned table’s
> constraints should work with regard to environment. If I work on local,
> constraints work for local tables and should not consider other
> environment’s constraints.

To be more clear, I would like to add EXPLAIN ANALYZE script.

artemis=# explain (analyze,verbose) insert into students values(2,'another
name');
QUERY
PLAN

------------------
Insert on public.students (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=36) (actual
time=1.536..1.53
9 rows=0 loops=1)
* Remote SQL: INSERT INTO public.students(id, name) VALUES ($1, $2)*
-> Result (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=36) (actual time=0.005..0.013
rows=1 loop
s=1)
Output: 2, 'another name'::character varying
Planning time: 0.063 ms
Execution time: 2.877 ms
(6 rows)

We use push-down for INSERT statement but I think constraints should be
checked before sending SQL statements then INSERT statements should be
perform.

If it's nature, why do we require to add unused constraint for FDW side
only?

--
Gunce Kaya

Linkedin <https://tr.linkedin.com/in/guncekaya> - Twitter