pgAgent does not start with message “ERROR: Couldn't register event handle.”

From: Arturas Mazeika <mazeika(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAgent does not start with message “ERROR: Couldn't register event handle.”
Date: 2018-05-18 06:17:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dear postgres Folk,

I am able to start the pgAgent in debug mode on a windows (server 2016)
machine with the help of

C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAgent\bin>pgagent.exe DEBUG "host=localhost
port=5432 user=postgres dbname=postgres password=********"

I also tested that I can start jobs through pgAdmin III.

Starting a service from services in Windows fails with a generic message.
If I login as postgres user

runas /user:postgres cmd

and then try to start the service there using the same command as in
services:

C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAgent\bin>pgagent.exe RUN pgAgent
"host=localhost port=5432 user=postgres dbname=postgres password=*******"

I get an error

ERROR: Couldn't register event handle.

(which is what I suppose the service does) How can I solve the issue?

(supplying a password over command line is not a problem. We have
successfully tested different approaches including pgpass and pg_hba
successfully. I am trying to nail down why the service does not start in a
regular way here).

I believe that the version of pgAgent is 1.22.

I posted this question also on

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/207067/pgagent-does-not-start-with-message-error-couldnt-register-event-handle

Cheers,
Arturas