Re: pg_stat_*_columns?

From: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_*_columns?
Date: 2015-06-08 20:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

So I've heard from Magnus Hagander today IRL at our Stockholm PostgreSQL
User Group meeting where we discussed this idea. He told me the overhead in
the statistics collector is mainly when reading from it, not that much when
writing to it.
Magnus idea was to first optimize the collector to make it less of a
problem to collect more data. Sounds like a good thing to do, but maybe
more data in it wouldn't be a problem as long as you don't read too often
from it?