Re: Travis and AppVeyor continuous integration [Re: feature/master/ci]

From: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: thomas(at)tada(dot)se, pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Travis and AppVeyor continuous integration [Re: feature/master/ci]
Date: 2020-08-29 13:40:56
Lists: pljava-dev

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 7:04 PM Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/29/20 04:35, Kartik Ohri wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> anyone
>> *one* of
>> >>

>> > Travis recommends all repositories access but that can be easily
>> restricted
>> > to a single repository. Once, the application has been authorized.
>> Github
>> > will ask whether to install in a single repository or all.
>> >
>> > Also, I checked which permissions the Travis app installed on my repo
>> has.
>> > The current Travis App has the write access to checks, commit statuses,
>> > deployments, and repository hooks. The first three make sense but I am
>> not
>> > sure about the role of repository hooks. For what it's worth, AppVeyor
>> > requires write access to only checks, commit statuses.
>>
>> I will admit to a bit of a shock yesterday when, out of curiosity, I went
>> to https://travis-ci.com/plans and clicked "SET UP YOUR OPEN SOURCE
>> PROJECT
>> NOW" and was immediately faced with a GitHub "Authorize Travis CI" dialog
>> requesting:
>>
>> =====
>> Organizations and teams
>> Read-only access
>>
>> This application will be able to read your organization, team membership,
>> and private project boards.
>>

>> Repositories
>> Public and private
>>
>> This application will be able to read and write all public and private
>> repository data. This includes the following:
>>
>> Code
>> Issues
>> Pull requests
>> Wikis
>> Settings
>> Webhooks and services
>> Deploy keys
>> Collaboration invites
>>

>> Personal user data
>> Email addresses (read-only)
>>
>> This application will be able to read your private email addresses.
>> =====
>>
>> The "Cancel" button is still smoking from how hard I hit it.
>>
>> But I think that must have been their older, pre-GitHub-App, signup
>> process. I am not sure why they still have a working link that goes there.
>>

> Yes, this is indeed the case. I created a new account and followed the
> same procedure as Chap and got the permissions as he mentioned. However,
> when I tried to install Travis through the marketplace I got the
> permissions as I mentioned in the mail earlier today.
>

>> Thomas, if their current permission requests, when configured as a
>> GitHub App, are as Kartik describes, and can be limited to the PL/Java
>> repo only, would that answer your concerns (even if not perfectly,
>> perhaps acceptably)?
>>
>> It seems to me also that such concerns can have a "duration" dimension:
> [...]
To investigate further, I tried it with AppVeyor as well. And I got a lot
more permissions requests than from the marketplace. The footer that
mentioned it was using OAuth. So, it seems that both Travis and AppVeyor
have a Github and OAuth app. The Github apps require less permissions than
the OAuth ones. To install an app as Github App, install it using the
Github marketplace.

Regards,
Kartik