Re: PL/Java new build plugin

From: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Java new build plugin
Date: 2020-07-09 13:51:31
Lists: pljava-dev

> Odd ... were these two builds started with different command lines?
>
> The first one looks like it builds all subprojects:
>
> [INFO] Reactor Build Order:
> [INFO]
> [INFO] PostgreSQL PL/Java
> [INFO] PL/Java API
> [INFO] PL/Java backend Java code
> [INFO] PL/Java backend native code
> [INFO] PL/Java Ant tasks
> [INFO] PL/Java examples
> [INFO] PL/Java packaging
>
> The second one seems to skip right to pljava-so:
>
> [INFO] Reactor Build Order:
> [INFO]
> [INFO] PL/Java backend native code
> [INFO] PL/Java Ant tasks
> [INFO] PL/Java examples
> [INFO] PL/Java packaging

Yes, when the second build failed. I ran mvn install -rf :pljava-so -X -e.

In nar-maven-plugin 3.2.3, the line with the null pointer exception
> seems to be this one:
>

> https://github.com/maven-nar/nar-maven-plugin/blob/nar-maven-plugin-3.2.3/src/main/java/com/github/maven_nar/Compiler.java#L499
>
> which makes me think that some entry of 'defines' is a null.

Any suggestions what could be the problem? As far as I see in the
build.xml, I can only think of MSVC.RINT but it should not be probably the
cause.

> If you're running the build with Java 14 or later, you may be able
> to squeeze a little more information out of a NullPointerException
> by putting the right -XX:... option in the MAVEN_OPTS environment
> variable (see [1]). In this case it might only say something like
> "cannot call method split() because receiver is null" (I don't see
> a lot of other possibilities on that line) but in general it might
> be helpful.

Yes, I understand that but as you say it isn't beneficial in this case.