psql backward compatibility

From: Stephen Haddock <haddock(dot)stephenm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql backward compatibility
Date: 2020-11-18 16:05:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

When upgrading an older version of postgres, version 8.4 for example, to a
newer version such as 9.6, does the data have to be migrated immediately?

It looks like the recommended method is to dump the data, upgrade,
initialize a new cluster, and then restore the dumped data into the newer
version. My question is whether the data dump and restore must be done
immediately. It appears that 9.6 is able to run against the older cluster
(DB service starts, queries work, etc), and the data could be migrated days
or weeks later. I don't know if that is asking for issues down the line
though such as 9.6 corrupting the data due to incompatibilities between the
two versions.

Thanks!