Re: postgresql in docker to improve security

From: Kashif Zeeshan <kashi(dot)zeeshan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Nguyen, Long (IM&T, St(dot) Lucia)" <Long(dot)Nguyen(at)csiro(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql in docker to improve security
Date: 2024-05-03 03:23:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

Yes docker container improves the security and following are the ways it
does.
1. Isolation : When you run postgres in a container, you are isolating it
from host os and other containers so it limits the attack surface.
2. Port mapping : By mapping only the necessary container port and allowing
access only using that port limits the attack surface.
3. You can manage the access privileges of the users that run container
4. Docker containers use namespaces for process isolation and security.

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan
Bitnine Global