Re: stable vs. immutable unaccent function

From: Thangalin <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stable vs. immutable unaccent function
Date: 2013-05-05 22:54:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I wrote the unaccent_text wrapper function to achieve the following:

CREATE INDEX table_name_label_unaccent_idx
ON table_name
USING gin
(unaccent_text(label::text) COLLATE pg_catalog."default" gin_trgm_ops);

I would have liked to use unaccent directly.

The fact that someone wrote such a comment should be a clue that it's a
> hack. :)

My comment. I acknowledge it was a hack. Couldn't see how to add the
unaccented index (without adding an extra column, which is just another
hack). ;-)

A proper solution, Marti, I thank you for: using the STABLE unaccent
function from MusicBrainz. I'll take a look -- hopefully it works with 9.1.