Re: WSL (windows subsystem on linux) users will need to turn fsync off as of 11.2

From: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ravi Krishna <srkrishna(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WSL (windows subsystem on linux) users will need to turn fsync off as of 11.2
Date: 2019-02-19 00:50:36
Lists: pgsql-general

> Right, the first step would be for a WSL user to figure out what's
> wrong with builds on the WSL and show us how to fix it; I heard
> through the grapevine that if you try it, initdb doesn't work (it must
> be something pretty subtle in the configure phase or something like
> that, since the Ubuntu .deb apparently works, except for the issue
> reported in this thread).

That's correct - initdb doesn't work when you've built on WSL as
*somehow* HAVE_FDATASYNC is set to 1 by configure - but it ends up not
being included by #ifdef blocks. This causes the following PANIC

PANIC: unrecognized wal_sync_method: 1

Which happens because wal_sync is set to 1, but in
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c that block in the switch is inside the
#ifdef so never gets checked,

--
James

--
The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this