Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)

From: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)
Date: 2020-07-29 03:00:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We need some kind of concrete plan for what is a
> usable amount of functionality and what has to be done to get it.

This is exactly the type of discussion I'm after.

I'll start.

A usable amount of functionality would be the ability to start threads from:

- a background worker

These cases should be bound by *at least* the following rules:

- no signal handling from threads
- no calls into PostgreSQL functions from threads

The patch I supplied is one of the requirements to get there - I would love
help to discover the others.

--
The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this