Re: Upgrade 96 -> 11

From: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade 96 -> 11
Date: 2019-09-03 22:45:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 5:47 am, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 9/2/19 5:52 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> >> It's still creating the schema elements when it fails, it hasn't
> >> started linking yet
> >
> > Alright at least you still a working 9.6 cluster .
> >
> > Not sure where to go from here. Like you I am not sure how it can CREATE
> > EXTENSION and not actually follow through on that. Especially with no
> > errors for that operation. I'm going to have to think on this. Hopefully
> > someone else has an idea on this and can chime in.
>
> Aah. I don't have postgis installed, still:
>
> pg_dump --binary-upgrade -s -d production -U postgres >
> production_binary.sql
>
> -- For binary upgrade, create an empty extension and insert objects into it
> DROP EXTENSION IF EXISTS tablefunc;
> SELECT pg_catalog.binary_upgrade_create_empty_extension('tablefunc',
> 'public', true, '1.0', NULL, NULL, ARRAY[]::pg_catalog.text[]);
>

> Try the above on your schema and see what you get.

Yep - an empty extension. I think this logic is wrong. Creating an empty
extension is fine and makes sense but extension owned relations should be
created as the next step, not just at some time later.

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com

--
James Sewell,
Chief Architect

Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf, 26-32 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont NSW 2009
P (+61) 2 8099 9000 W www.jirotech.com F (+61) 2 8099 9099

--
The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this