Re: relfrozenxid may disagree with row XIDs after 1ccc1e05ae

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bowen Shi <zxwsbg12138(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: relfrozenxid may disagree with row XIDs after 1ccc1e05ae
Date: 2024-05-13 14:42:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, May 12, 2024 at 11:19 PM Bowen Shi <zxwsbg12138(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>>
>> Obviously we should actually fix this on back branches, but could we
>> at least make the retry loop interruptible in some way so people could
>> use pg_cancel/terminate_backend() on a stuck autovacuum worker or
>> vacuum process?
>

> If the problem happens in versions <= PG 16, we don't have a good solution (vacuum process holds the exclusive lock cause checkpoint hangs).
>
> Maybe we can make the retry loop interruptible first. However, since we are using START_CRIT_SECTION, we cannot simply use CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS to handle it.

As far as I can tell, in 14 and 15, the versions where the issue
reported here is present, there is not a critical section in the
section of code looped through in the retry loop in lazy_scan_prune().
We can actually fix the particular issue I reproduced with the
attached patch. However, I think it is still worth making the retry
loop interruptible in case there are other ways to end up infinitely
looping in the retry loop in lazy_scan_prune().

- Melanie

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Fix-vacuum-hang.patch text/x-patch 4.7 KB