Re: Trigger more frequent autovacuums of heavy insert tables

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, David Rowley <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Trigger more frequent autovacuums of heavy insert tables
Date: 2024-10-23 21:21:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 22, 2024 at 3:12 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The attached patch does this.

I realized that I broke relation_statistics_update(). Attached v2 is fixed.

> I've estimated the unfrozen percentage of the table by adding a new
> field to pg_class, relallfrozen, which is updated in the same places
> as relallvisible.

While my relallfrozen column correctly appears in pg_class, I noticed
that it seems like catalog/pg_class_d.h did not have my column added
(this file is auto-generated), despite my adding relallfrozen to
catalog/pg_class.h. Is there something else I have to do when adding a
new column to pg_class?

> At the end of the benchmark, the patched version of Postgres had
> emitted twice as many FPIs as master.

This was meant to say the reverse -- _master_ did twice as many FPIs
as the patch

- Melanie

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-relallfrozen-to-pg_class.patch text/x-patch 14.9 KB
v2-0002-Trigger-more-frequent-autovacuums-with-relallfroz.patch text/x-patch 4.2 KB