Re: Vacuum ERRORs out considering freezing dead tuples from before OldestXmin

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: Vacuum ERRORs out considering freezing dead tuples from before OldestXmin
Date: 2024-07-02 23:07:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 4:27 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

> Would it be possible to make it robust so that we could always run it
> with "make check"? This seems like an important corner case to
> regression test.

Okay, I've attached a new version of the patch and a new version of
the repro that may be fast and stable enough to commit. It is more
minimal than the previous version. I made the table as small as I
could to still trigger two rounds of index vacuuming. I tried to make
it as stable as possible. I also removed the cursor on the standby
that could trigger recovery conflicts. It would be super helpful if
someone could take a look at the test and point out any ways I could
make it even more likely to be stable.

- Melanie

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0002-Ensure-vacuum-removes-all-visibly-dead-tuples-old.patch text/x-patch 5.4 KB
v2-0001-Test-that-vacuum-removes-tuples-older-than-Oldest.patch text/x-patch 9.1 KB