psql question: aborting a "script"

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql question: aborting a "script"
Date: 2016-03-15 14:33:48
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm likely abusing the psql program. What I have is an awk program which
reads a file and produces a number of INSERT INTO commands. I then feed
these commands into psql to execute them. Yes, a Perl program would be a
better idea. Anyway, sometimes the commands are rejected due to some
problem, such as duplicate primary key. What I wish is that the psql
command had a switch, or control command, which would say "exit from psql
if anything fails". To me, this is like the BASH "set -e" command for a
shell script. Does this sound like a useful addition. Or am I just missing
where it already exists?

--
A fail-safe circuit will destroy others. -- Klipstein

Maranatha! <><
John McKown