New column modifier?

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New column modifier?
Date: 2015-04-29 17:03:20
Lists: pgsql-general

I am wondering about useful something might be. So I hope ya'll don't mind
me throwing out for feedback. I am fairly good with standard SQL, but not
the more advanced DBA things such as TRIGGERs. I am reading good book,
"PostgreSQL Server Programming" to increase my knowledge. The section that
I'm on now is about triggers. And how to use them to enforce a "read only"
column. So I'm wondering if such is very common? I can see some uses for it
with things which "should not change", such as a system generated date/time
in an audit log. Given how much PostgreSQL extends beyond the ANSI
standard, I'm wondering if a new column modifier, perhaps "WORM" (Write
Once, Read Many) might be of any real use. Or is this "need" just not
prevalent enough to require such a thing?

just thinking. But maybe not productively.

--
If you sent twitter messages while exploring, are you on a textpedition?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown