Re: New column modifier?

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New column modifier?
Date: 2015-04-29 18:08:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> What you suggest is a new column type, and that would be something that
> needs to be reviewed and implemented by the PostgreSQL developers. Since it
> is not a SQL standard, I doubt it has much chance of implementation. That
> being said, you should understand that all triggers require the need for an
> associated trigger function. A simpler way to accomplish "WORM" is with a
> RULE.
> EG:
> CREATE RULE table_worm AS ON UPDATE TO your_table WHERE NEW.your_column <>
> OLD your_column DO NOTHING.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-createrule.html

​Thanks. I "jumped the gun" and haven't gotten to RULEs in the book yet.
Lucky I like to read & have some time right now.​

--
If you sent twitter messages while exploring, are you on a textpedition?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown