Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tim Clotworthy <tclotworthy(at)bluestonelogic(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information
Date: 2015-07-08 19:47:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Tim Clotworthy <
tclotworthy(at)bluestonelogic(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a customer that is about to undertake a migration of an Oracle 11g
> database to PostgreSQL 9.x (exact version to be determined). I am talking
> not only of the migration of schemas and data, but also of a substantial
> codebase of Pl/SQL stored procedures, as well as many triggers.
>
> I don't think they know yet what they are up against. Everything I have
> read is that this is a very substantial effort. At this stage, they would
> be particularly interested in realistic and practical information on how
> estimate the effort required as well as any best-practices or guidance on
> transition strategies.
>
> I have found official documentation on the PostgreSQL site for porting
> Pl/SQL to PL/pgSQL. This is excellent technical documentation. However,
> there success will require that they are well prepared realistically
> understanding the scope of the effor they are asbout to undertake.
>
> Thanks for any response!

​Why are they converting?

Would EnterpriseDB (a commercial version of PostgreSQL which has extensions
to make it a "drop in" replacement for Oracle) be a possibility?
http://www.enterprisedb.com/solutions/oracle-compatibility-technology

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown