Re: BUG #14921: searchable docs

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pieter(dot)van(dot)den(dot)hombergh(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14921: searchable docs
Date: 2017-11-23 15:59:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 9:13 AM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 11/23/2017 7:05 AM, pieter(dot)van(dot)den(dot)hombergh(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>
>> In our university, postgres is the db of choice. Our data base exams have
>> postgres instance plus doc on a live usb stick. It would be a nice service
>> to the students if we could add searchable docs instead of just the static
>> html docs during the exams.
>>
>> Is it possible to get an installable and searcheable doc version, such as
>> you provide on your website?
>>

> A) this isn't a big
>
> B) that would require a web server and search engine be distributed too,
> and if the host is already running a webserver, somehow integrating it,
> very OS distribution specific.
>
> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

​Probably a stupid thought on my part, but would it be possible to load the
documentation into a PostgreSQL data base and use "full text search" on it?
I've only read a very little on this feature, so I'm very ignorant on what
it can do.​

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown