Re: About the MONEY type

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "btober(at)computer(dot)org" <btober(at)broadstripe(dot)net>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About the MONEY type
Date: 2016-11-30 20:16:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM, btober(at)computer(dot)org <btober(at)broadstripe(dot)net
> wrote:

> I recall a number of years ago reading about a money implementation that
> included different currency bases and exchange rate calculation. A quick
> Google search turned up
>

> https://github.com/samv/pg-currency
>

> which I am not sure is the same thing, but it looks like it might be
> something useful in the current context.
>
> -- B

Speaking generically, ​I guess maybe MONEY needs to be somewhat like a
TIMESTAMP. At least in PostgreSQL​, a TIMESTAMP can contain a TIMEZONE. I
guess a MONEY type should contain a modifier identifying the issuer of the
currency (E.g. U.S. Dollar vs Canadian Dollar vs. Yen vs. Yuan vs.
"precious metal").

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/