Re: Processing data from table using awk.

From: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)" <bob(dot)basques(at)ci(dot)stpaul(dot)mn(dot)us>
Cc: Reid Thompson <Reid(dot)Thompson(at)ateb(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Processing data from table using awk.
Date: 2015-10-06 16:38:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <
bob(dot)basques(at)ci(dot)stpaul(dot)mn(dot)us> wrote:

> Just to throw in an idea.
>
> I almost exclusively use PERL for this type of thing. A bunch of examples
> out on the web using DBI, and the main aspects are portable across many
> databases, not just POSTGRES.

​Me too. I'm in an "learn awk" mode. I already have a couple of PERL
programs which use DBI to load tabular information into a series of
PostgreSQL tables. The information is actually meant to be loaded into
IBM's DB/2. I have a PERL program which can read the DB/2 load utility's
control file and create a PERL program which can read the data file read
using that control file. The created PERL program sends the information
into the appropriate PostgreSQL tables instead. IMO, a rather nifty way to
have a PERL ​program write another PERL program for me.

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown