Re: Can't upgrade a DB from 8.4 to 9.3 with pg_uprade: pg 9 not started

From: Sebastien Douche <sdouche(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't upgrade a DB from 8.4 to 9.3 with pg_uprade: pg 9 not started
Date: 2014-02-14 17:16:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:\

Hi Bruce,
thanks for your time.

> This is using /tmp because the old server is pre-9.1; it would normally
> use the current directory for the socket file. Are you perhaps using a
> non-standard setting? Our docs say:
>
> If using a pre-9.1 old server that is using a non-default Unix-domain
> socket directory or a default that differs from the default of the
> new cluster, set <envar>PGHOST</> to point to the old server's socket
> location. (This is not relevant on Windows.)

Right, but It's broken also if I set unix_socket_directory to /tmp.

> Does that help? Did you use a different environment for the check and
> non-check phases?

I found a fiable solution: remove the -w option on the pg_ctl' wrapper
(and added sleep 5 for waiting the launch) when pg_upgrade want to
start PG. Tested on several db w/o issues. This option is broken on PG
<9 (several workaround exist in the code of pg_upgrade for it).

--
Sebastien Douche <sdouche(at)gmail(dot)com>
Twitter: @sdouche / G+: +sdouche