Re: UPDATE ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING

From: Alexander Farber <alexander(dot)farber(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING
Date: 2017-03-14 15:38:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, Adrian -

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 03/14/2017 07:23 AM, Alexander Farber wrote:
>

>> in _uids array I have all user ids of player.
>>
>> I want to merge his or her data, including reviews, to a single user id:
>> out_uid.
>>
>> So I make a copy of related words_reviews records (where this user has
>>

> Alright I see that you are setting out_uid above the INSERT.
> So you are INSERTing rows and if they CONFLICT you leave them alone and
> have the DELETE remove them, correct?

that is correct and my question is:

copying records for later INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING seems ineffective
to me.

I would prefer to just use UPDATE (for changing "uid" or "author" columns
to out_uid value) - but how to handle the conflicts with UPDATE?

Thank you
Alex

P.S. I have just donated 20 Euro to paypal(at)postgresql(dot)eu