Re: migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql

From: "Rader, David" <davidr(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>, PAWAN SHARMA <er(dot)pawanshr0963(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql
Date: 2017-01-20 16:41:41
Lists: pgsql-general

--
David Rader
davidr(at)openscg(dot)com

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 03:29:34PM +1100, Venkata B Nagothi wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 6:17 AM, PAWAN SHARMA <er(dot)pawanshr0963(at)gmail(dot)com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I am using postgres 9.5 enterprise edition.
> > >
> > > i want to to how to migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql. what are
> > > the things required for migration and what are the cron and prons of
> > > migration.
> > >

> > Well, how challenging the migration is going to be purely depends on
> > complexity of the the database and the how the Applications. As far as i
> > know, there is no open-source tool available to migrate SQL Server
> database
> > to PostgreSQL. You can try "sqlserver2pgsql" which migrates does not
> > migrate procedures.
> >
> > Overall with my experience, i can say, migrating application would be
> most
> > challenging part.
> >
> > - Preliminary analysis on the database, its object types, data types and
> > code complexity of the procedures. T-SQL procedures will need to
> re-written
> > and they can in-turn trigger application code changes which can be
> > challenging.
> > Data types and procedures can pose real challenges while migrating
> > applications.
> > - If applications being used against SQL Server are proprietary, then,
> you
> > need to ensure they work with PostgreSQL.
> > - Evaluate the amount of Application code changes to be done, that will
> > give you an idea on how difficult migration will be.
> >
> > Hope that helps !
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Venkata B N
> > Database Consultant
>
> Hi,
>
> For the procedure part, you might want to take a look at pgTSQL:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/openscg/pgtsql
>
> Here is another link with some examples. I have not tried them myself.
>
> https://www.bigsql.org/docs/pgtsql/
>
> Regards,
> Ken

Hello -

pgTSQL enables you to run some parts of T-SQL code in PostgreSQL. Coverage
is not complete by any means. As others have written, it all depends on how
much T-SQL code you have in your database and application. Migrating the
schema and data is fairly painless. But the amount of code you have will
determine whether it's a 1-day or 1-month exercise.

-Dave