Using RETURNING with INSERT TRIGGER on 9.6 partitioned table

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using RETURNING with INSERT TRIGGER on 9.6 partitioned table
Date: 2018-10-04 08:25:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm using partitioned tables with INSERT triggers on PostgreSQL 9.6,
and I have a question about using "RETURNING NEW" in those triggers.

I have found a note mentioning consideration and workaround
on using INSERT ... RETURNING on the partitioned table [1].

[1] INSERT RETURNING vs Partitioning - PostgreSQL wiki
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/INSERT_RETURNING_vs_Partitioning

However, according to my experience, using "RETURNING NEW"
in my insert trigger function looks working fine without the workadound.

So, here is a question.
Do we still need the workaround mentioned in the note?
If so, why?

Regards,
--
Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>