Query ID Values

From: tango ward <tangoward15(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Query ID Values
Date: 2018-05-15 01:08:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Good Day,

I need to run an SQL query and get a program_id and department_id of a
specific course for each student. I am thinking of running an IF condition
to check if the course name is in program and get it's ID but I don't know
yet where to use the IF condition in the query.

sample code:

for row in cur_t:
course = row['course']

cur_p.execute("""SELECT id from program where name='$[course]']
WHERE department_id=?? """)

Problem is I have 3 department IDs ( Senior High, Vocational, Undergraduate
) and each ID have multiple programs/courses. Each program/course is
connected to the deparment table via department_id.

May I ask an advice on how to approach this?

Thanks,