Re: Hierarchical Query Question (PHP)

From: David Blomstrom <david(dot)blomstrom(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hierarchical Query Question (PHP)
Date: 2015-10-30 23:38:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I think I answered my question @
http://www.the-art-of-web.com/sql/lookup-table/

It sounds like the field taxon_id is similar to the field id - it's just
automatically populated by a numerical key. So if I add a new taxon on row
5, then the taxon_id for the following row with change from 5 to 6 - right?

It therefore sounds like the field parent_id is useless for this particular
exercise and could be deleted - unless I find some other use for it.